New Job: Senior Network Engineer
Join our team, managing the network and hardware devices operating the School Safety Platform – internally, in the cloud, and at client sites. On-site in Florence, AL or other locations in AL considered. Travel to client sites to troubleshoot hardware will be required.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Manage and maintain local area network and connected devices at nSide’s headquarters in Florence, Alabama.
- Maintain company-owned, networked devices at staff and client locations throughout Alabama (remotely and/or on-site, as required).
- Assist hardware installation teams with network planning, network design, and hardware configuration to support new hardware installations at client sites.
- Assist hardware installation teams by troubleshooting networking issues with hardware at client sites (remotely and/or on-site at client locations, as required).
- Monitor hardware systems installed at client sites, maintaining records of uptime and responding when an outage occurs.
- Work with the development team on strategies and network methodologies for integrating hardware systems with the nSide Platform.
- Assist with the management and security of network and systems in nSide’s Google Cloud Platform network.
General Job Tasks
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components when necessary.
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made, and to determine where changes will need to be made in the future.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Analyze equipment performance records to determine the need for repair or replacement.
- Confer with network users about how to solve existing system problems.
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Design, configure, and test computer hardware, networking hardware/software, operating system software, and installed applications.
- Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, maintaining control records.
- Train people in computer system and internal software use.
- Maintain logs related to network functions, as well as maintenance and repair records.
- Gather data pertaining to customer needs and use the information to identify, predict, interpret, and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Coordinate with vendors and with company personnel to facilitate purchases.
- Maintain an inventory of parts for emergency repairs.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Assist and/or manage the design, testing, configuration, and deployment of prototype devices for internal evaluation and/or client use.
- Assist and/or manage the design, testing, configuration, and deployment of production devices to be modelled from prototype devices for internal evaluation and/or client use.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Deductive Reasoning — Applying general rules to produce sensible outcomes.
- Oral Comprehension — Listening to and understanding ideas, presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Problem Sensitivity — Recognizing when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
- Written Comprehension — Understanding information and ideas presented in writing.
- Group health and dental insurance is offered for eligible nSide employees through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama.
- Group vision insurance is offered for eligible nSide employees through VSP insurance group.
- Both the health and vision insurance offerings include individual and family coverage.
- A group life insurance plan for eligible employees is offered by nSide through UNUM insurance group. The group life insurance plan is fully paid by nSide.
SOC Reference: 15-1244.00 – Network and Computer Systems Administrators
Install, configure, and maintain an organization’s local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), data communications network, operating systems, and physical and virtual servers. Perform system monitoring and verify the integrity and availability of hardware, network, and server resources and systems. Review system and application logs and verify completion of scheduled jobs, including system backups. Analyze network and server resource consumption and control user access. Install and upgrade software and maintain software licenses. May assist in network modeling, analysis, planning, and coordination between network and data communications hardware and software.
Other possible job titles: Information Analyst, Information Systems Manager (IS Manager), Information Technology Specialist (IT Specialist), LAN Specialist (Local Area Network Specialist), Local Area Network Administrator (LAN Administrator), Network Administrator, Network Coordinator, Network Manager, Systems Administrator
About nSide, Inc.:
nSide is a school safety company based in Florence, Alabama that cares for today’s most pressing threats and security challenges. We strive to answer the hard questions and provide the best solutions for school safety, as we integrate all threads of communication alongside advanced technologies. After more than a decade of serving in over 2,000 different schools, we need someone to join our efforts in keeping children and teachers safe.