The second quarter of 2022 has been a busy one here at nSide! Between the Mississippi partnership and summer conference season, our teams have been on the road nonstop. This quarter, we have seen a lot of progress with Mississippi mapping projects, and our team is growing every day.
What New Legislation Could Mean for School Safety
In an attempt to reduce the threat of violence in communities across the country, lawmakers recently passed the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (S. 2938). In addition to community-wide measures, this act specifically addresses school safety in the following ways:
- It provides $1 billion to help schools put in place comprehensive strategies to create safe and healthy learning environments for all students
- It provides funding for after-school, before-school, and summer programs, all of which have been shown to reduce the risk of violent incidents while increasing student achievement
- It provides avenues for states to implement, enhance, and expand school-based mental health programs
- It provides $300 million through the STOP School Violence Act to students and educators for training and tools to prevent and respond to violence against themselves and others
*You can read the full text of this bill here.
One of the most distinguishing features about nSide has to be the interactive maps and the 360 degree photos of campus interiors. Our mapping teams come out to each campus to collect these images and plot critical infrastructure points that will aid in emergency planning and response. nSide puts a focus on place and how knowing and utilizing location can and will save lives. This quarter, we tackled some major mapping projects across Alabama and Mississippi with a collective 178 schools and 17.7 MILLION square feet mapped.
WELCOME NEW NSIDE TEAM MEMBERS
- Shailesh Kumar, Director of Software Development
- Van Pham, Jr. Web Developer
- Jon Cole, Sr. Web Developer
- Kevin Keys, Sr. Web Developer
- James Trentham, Field Mapping Technician
- Collins Lawler, Field Mapping Technician
- Iysis Peeden, Drafting Intern
- Drew Barnard, Drafting Intern
- Cassondra Vanderford, Sr. Training Specialist
- Chad Callender, Sr. Training Specialist
- Bill McGeehee, Education Accounts Specialist
- Blake Deaton, Installation Crew Chief
- Corey Clem, Installation Technician
- Brayden Stanfield, Installer
- Matt Lock, Installation Technician
- Michael Adams, Installation Technician
- Adam Ledbetter, Installation Technician
CAMERON GOOCH (Data Team) recently graduated from University of North Alabama with a bachelor’s degree in Geographic Information Science and started working full-time with nSide.
QUAN NGUYEN (Development Team) completed his internship with nSide and was recently promoted to Intermediate Web Developer.
nSIDE @ CONFERENCES
- ASTA (Alabama School Transportation Association) Conference – Mobile, Alabama (June 2022)
- Georgia Homeland Security and School Safety Conference – Columbus, Georgia (June 2022)
- NASRO (National Association of School Resource Officers) Conference – Denver, Colorado (July 2022)
SAVE THE DATES
The 2022 School Safety Summit will take place December 6-7 at the Orange Beach Event Center in Orange Beach, Alabama.