Police Officer vs. School Resource Officer
A School Resource Officer is a career law enforcement officer who has been specially trained and assigned to work in an educational environment. This is in contrast to a police officer or security guard who has just been hired to work at the school. SROs serve as a valuable contribution to the school-safety team by ensuring a safe and secure environment while also educating students about law-related topics.
Beyond the Badge
Although a School Resource Officer’s main responsibility is to provide a highly visible presence to deter intruders and handle any active threats that may arise, they are also responsible for :
- Assisting school administrators in maintaining a safe and secure learning environment
- Developing strategies to resolve problems among student
- Educating staff and students on various law-related topics
Importance of the SRO
In any emergency situation, seconds matter. Violence and threats of violence in schools are on the rise, making a law enforcement officer stationed within the school a reasonable and necessary precaution to ensure the safety of students and staff. Ultimately, administrators, faculty, and staff are the first responders to campus emergencies. However, the safety of a school can be enhanced by the presence of someone who is capable of intervening quickly in an emergency.
NSIDE RESOURCES FOR SROs
The nSide School Safety Platform™ is our core product and can help your school plan for emergencies and perform critical tasks to make sure everyone knows what actions to take in the event that they occur.
- Critical Infrastructure Mapping
- Creation, management, and storage of Emergency Operations Plans
- Training for administrators and staff
nSide|Live™ brings all of the different sources of your cameras into the nSide Platform and allows for a simple, easy-to-use technology for your camera solution.
- Real-time viewing of your campus surveillance system within the nSide platform
- The ability to share access to cameras with local first responders
- Allows local administrators to control which users have day-to-day access to cameras
nSide|Views™ provides users with a virtual walk-through, using the same user-friendly look and feel of Google StreetView inside your buildings.
- 360-degree photographs in hallways, rooms, and common areas
- The ability to share access to photos with local first responders
- Images can be linked together to create a virtual tour of the building