SCHOOL SAFETY SUMMIT 2022
The nSide team would like to thank over 300 attendees, speakers, and vendors who helped make this year’s School Safety Summit at the Orange Beach Event Center a huge success. Summit attendees enjoyed a jam-packed agenda of impactful presentations, hands-on workshops, and networking with fellow educators and school safety experts.
There was a variety of speakers and workshops, all focused on our common goal: protecting the lives of students and educators. Day One of the Summit opened with a year-in-review presentation from nSide CEO Dr. Steve McKinney (pictured right), who highlighted important developments for the company in 2022, including the partnership with the Mississippi Department of Education.
From Emergency Operation Plans to Mental Health awareness, here are some of the highlights from the 2022 School Safety Summit presentations and workshops:
- What We’ve Learned from Studying Averted School Attacks
- Frank Straub: Director, National Policing Institute
- Taking Your Drills to the Next Level
- Tony Camara, Autauga Co. Schools
- An Overview of Threat Assessment
- Mike Cowart and Dr. Dale Stripling, ALSDE
- Situational Awareness in Academia
- Sheriff Heath Taylor and Sheriff Derrick Cunningham
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health: What Has Changed Since COVID?
- Alabama Dept. of Mental Health
- Evaluating Your EOP: Strengths and Weaknesses
- Dave Shanks, Georgia Emergency Management Agency
- An In-Depth Look at nSide Assess
- Proncey Robertson, Director of Training, nSide
- Kimanthi Stewart, Senior Training Specialist
- nSide Platform Administrator Review Training
- Cassondra Vanderford, Senior Training Specialist
- Bill McGehee, Senior Training Specialist
Missed out this year? Be sure to join us for School Safety Summit 2023!
2022 nSide Awards
The nSide Initiative Award
This award is given to districts that have added additional safety modules to their nSide platform or worked with nSide to update their maps and information within the platform.The three districts recognized this year are Huntsville City Schools (AL), Gulf Shores City Schools (AL), and Mississippi Schools for Deaf and Blind (MS).
The nSide Trailblazer Award
This award recognizes districts in new states and territories that have begun using the nSide platform. This year, nSide began working with the Alamance-Burlington School System in North Carolina. nSide has also been working with the Rossville Consolidated School District in Indiana (pictured). Both of these school districts were recognized for the nSide Trailblazer Award.
The Most Engaged District
The winner of this award is calculated using a measure of regular usage of the Platform through sessions and in-app events as well as a measure of quality for the collective districts’ Emergency Operations Plan.This year, Lauderdale County School District (AL) was recognized as the Most Engaged District.
nSide 2022 Year-in-Review
BY THE NUMBERS
45.3 million Square feet mapped
1121 security cameras installed
200 bus (fleet) trackers installed
172 access control doors installed
31 new nSide team members
In April 2022, The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) implemented its plans to use $14 million of its American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) III funds to purchase the nSide health and school safety platform for 140 districts across the state. As of December 2022, nSide has completed mapping on 55 Mississippi districts as part of this project.
- nSide partnered with the Mississippi Department of Education.
- During conference season, the nSide team attended, sponsored, or presented at ten conferences across four states.
- nSide expanded its website and implemented all-new e-learning courses on the platform through nSide|Academy.
- nSide held its 13th annual School Safety Summit in Orange Beach, Alabama, attracting over 250 attendees and partners from across the Southeast.
WHERE WE’VE BEEN
Alabama: AAPAS, TAASRO, ALET, ASTA Conferences
Mississippi: MASA (Winter and Fall Conference), MASS, MASRO Conferences
Louisiana: Southern Region Leadership Conference (New Orleans)
Georgia: GA Homeland Security and School Safety Conference
North Carolina: Alamance-Burlington District
Colorado: NASRO Conference (Denver)
HOLIDAYS @ NSIDE
For the fifth year in a row, nSide partnered with the Alabama Department of Education’s Prevention and Support staff to sponsor the families of the Friendship Mission Homeless Shelter. Through this partnership, families at the shelter received coats, socks, underwear, pajamas, toiletries, cleaning items, and toys. We are so grateful for this partnership and the opportunity to give back to the community during this season.
nSide also held a food drive to help support families in need in the Shoals area this holiday season. After collecting food donations from our home office employees, the team helped transport the donations to local families.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
We would like to send out a huge thank you to our 2022 School Safety Summit sponsors!
School Safety Summit Highlight Video
Watch our highlight video here!